Guest recipe: Vegetarian Swedish style meatball kebabs
As the weather slowly starts to improve my thoughts always turn to enjoying the outdoors and making the most of the Summer by throwing a BBQ for family and friends. My BBQs are always a little different because I don’t eat meat or fish, so whilst I am happy for my guests to have traditional burgers and sausages I will also prepare something vegetarian friendly which is packed full of flavour as an alternative.
One of my favourites to serve up on the BBQ is a delicious Swedish style meatball kebab which is super easy to make, flavoured with a pesto sauce and served with a delicious greek style yoghurt and herb dressing. If you’re hosting a vegetarian this Summer or simply want to try and cut down on your meat intake, give this recipe a go:
Serves 4 – 6 | 10 – 15 mins cooking time | 253 cals per serving | 5.3g sat fat per serving
* 1x 300g pack Quorn Meat Free Swedish Style Balls
* 3 tbsp red pesto
* 3 tbsp tomato puree
* 3 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
* 2 tsps sugar
* salt & freshly ground black pepper
* 1 green or yellow bell pepper
* 1 red onion
* 6 cherry tomatoes and 6 button mushrooms
* kebab sticks (soaked for 15 minutes if wooden)
Yoghurt & Herb Dressing:
* 142 ml Greek style yoghurt
* 1 tsp lemon juice (fresh is best)
* 2 tsp chopped parsley or coriander (fresh is best)
1. In a large bowl combine the pesto, tomato puree, two crushed garlic cloves, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well before adding the the Quorn Swedish style meatballs and stir to evenly coat the meatballs before covering and placing in the refrigerator.
2. Next prepare the yoghurt and herb dressing by combining your Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, parsley, the remaining crushed garlic clove and more salt and pepper. Again, cover and chill.
3. Slice the bell peppers and your onions into 2.5cm pieces and thread the vegetables onto your kebab sticks in an alternating pattern including your marinated Quorn meatballs. Make sure to pack as much onto the stick as possible for ultimate satisfaction!
4. We’re ready to cook. Place your prepared kebabs on the BBQ at a moderate heat and cook for 10-15 minutes. Be sure to turn your kebabs regularly to ensure even cooking and brush with any remaining marinade or oil if required.
Once cooked serve immediately with the herb yoghurt dressing for a delicious, fresh and flavoursome BBQ alternative.
By Day Micaela is a Digital Marketeer, but by night she is a lifestyle blogger with a passion for all things vegetarian. Find more recipe inspirations check out her blog Stylish London Living.